This used to be the OUR History page
The early history of Working Art Space Sheffield is tied up with the early history of the Kentish Visitor Information Centre. The Sheffield Visitor Information Centre as it was then called was a project initially sponsored by the Kentish Development Agency in conjunction with the Kentish Council and built on Council owned land in 1993.
Building commenced on the 2nd September 1993 and the doors were opened to the public on 27th December 1993. The building was officially opened on the 26th January 1994 by the former Premier Hon. Robin Gray, MHA.
Incorporated into the building was a circular room housing a 3-D sight and sound exhibition that became known as “The Panorama of Kentish”. The exhibition had a backdrop consisting of a circular mural depicting Kentish country life between 1880 and 1930 and featured displays in front of the mural which fitted in with the mural theme. Four listening stations throughout the room related stories associated with the mural and provided appropriate sound effects.
The Kentish Development Agency became insolvent in 1994 and was officially dissolved on 21st December 1994 with the Panorama being disassembled and removed from the building by 31st January 1995. Ownership of the entire building reverted to the Kentish Council, which continued to operate the front section as The Sheffield Visitor Information Centre
The area that had formerly contained the Panorama was eventually leased to John and Cecile Corbin, who ran a craft shop from the premises. John and Cecile eventually relocated their business to Devonport and another couple moved in and ran their souvenir/craft shop, The Blue Gum Gallery, from there for several years.
This business eventually moved to the main street leaving the circular room vacant for several years with the Council unable to find a paying tenant.
In 2011 Council gave permission for Tasmanian Regional Arts Kentish (TRAK) to set up a gallery within the space. The ON TRAK Gallery as it was then called was officially opened on 9th August 2011. The gallery featured the work of local artists and craftspeople who are TRAK members and was staffed on a voluntary basis, primarily by the artists themselves
Watch this space for an update on our recent history.